Friends of Finlay Camp Out
- START DATE: 2017-11-25
- START: 15:30:00 PM
- END DATE: 2017-11-26
- END: 08:30:00 AM
- LOCATION: Lathlain Park, Goddard Street, Lathlain, Western Australia, Australia
Join us on Saturday 25 November for the Friends of Finlay Camp Out!
This Camp Out is for Finlay, it’s for all the kids who have cancer and it’s for you! By coming along to join us all on the 25th November you will be helping to fund research into childhood cancer and you will be sharing this incredibly fun day with Finlay and his friends. So don’t wait until the last minute make this huge and register today!
This is an outdoor community event for families, adults and children to camp together overnight to help raise awareness for the need to research further into Hepatoblastoma, a rare form of childhood cancer, and raise funds for the Children’s Leukaemia & Cancer Research Foundation (Inc.). We’re so excited to offer a limited edition Friends of Finlay Sleeping Bag, available for you to purchase in our booking form below. Sleeping bags will be available to collect at the event.
Be Sponsored to Camp Out!
To help us raise more funds for childhood cancer research, you can also be sponsored to Camp Out! Simply head to our Friends of Finlay EveryDay Hero Fundraising Page and click “start fundraising” to set up your own Fundraising page! We’d love all the help you can give us to make this Camp Out a great success not just for Finlay, but for every little child and their family out there that need more research into their cancers! So go on, set up your page, get your friends, family and colleagues to sponsor you and help make a difference in the lives of so many!
What happens when you arrive
Saturday 25 November:
3:30 pm – Families arrive to set up tents and sleeping areas. Tent spacing will be allocated to you. Set up tents in your area. Volunteers will be available to help.
4:00 pm – A safety briefing will be given at 4pm attendance is important. Location will be marked on the map (to be provided soon)
4:00pm – 6:30pm – Activities for kids whilst light is available
- Own Play – There are no restrictions on how you have fun while at the Friends of Finlay Camp Out – we want to see all families participate and join in with your own fun. Bring things for kids to enjoy on an oval. Our volunteers will be there to kick the football, play Frisbee, sing songs, read stories and watch the kids on the jumpy castle.
- Football kick to kick drills play time – Perth Demons Football Club players will be in attendance along with possibly other sporting teams.
- We will also have a Jumpy Castle, Mr Bubbles and Face Painting
5:30 pm – Big BBQ Dinner – – all money raised from dinner will go to CLCRF.
6:15 pm – Talks from the Higgs family about the event at front of camp area followed by Camp out sing-a-longs lead by musicians – plus storytelling.
10:00 pm – Lights on the oval will be turned off – safety lighting will still be provided for public access to bathroom facilities. Please also bring a torch / lantern for your own safety.
Sunday 26 November:
6:30 am – Coffee van will arrive
7:00 am – Canteen open selling bacon & egg rolls thanks to Modern Catering
7:30 am – Begin Camp pack up.
8:30 am – Camp Finish
What to bring on the day
- Tent and bedding for camping. (Maximum size tent is 6 person) Hopefully you have purchased your FOF sleeping bags that can be picked up on the day.
- Sporting equipment for kids to play with.
- Torches/ lamps for after dark play and getting to the toilets at night.
- Food for dinner if you wish to bring your own
- Plastic bags for rubbish removal
- A fun and playful attitude to make this event super successful
Terms and Conditions
- There must be 1 adult attending per 2 children
- Largest tent is to be a 4 – 6 person tent. We will be providing tent pegs for each tent, to protect the oval, so please don’t bring your own. Guy ropes for tents will be limited and our volunteer team will be able to assist you with setup on the day.
- Please bring your own torches/ lamps – we will have the oval lights until lights out – afterwards we will still provide some safety lighting to the bathrooms but for maximum safety we request you bring your own also.
- Food will be available at the canteen on Saturday 25 November, although food can be brought by parents. All funds raised will go to CLCRF
- Coffee truck will be in attendance for breakfast on Sunday 26 November.
Why Hold a Camp Out?
Four-year-old Finlay Higgs has undergone more than two years of chemotherapy treatments and spent much of his time in hospital. During treatment, he was not able to live a normal childhood enjoying the usual outdoor activities that he loved such as camping. While in hospital, his mother, Katey Higgs, noticed that just like Finlay, the children who are treated for cancer spent most of their time indoors in front of screens to pass their time, and were unable to play outside like other children due to treatment. The Camp Out will be an opportunity for others to camp on behalf of children like Finlay, who are or were unable to.
Spread the Word!
Please Share this event out with your friends, family and colleagues! Join our Facebook Event page!
If you have some ideas to help elevate this event please don’t hesitate to contact our volunteer team at [email protected]